[plug] suggestion: PLUG 4 Schools

sol sol at autonomon.net
Mon May 6 15:47:03 WST 2002

e:

> First, go back and read the comments from Colin, Simon, Dennis, Justin and
> Alex, since they are all very insightful.
This suggestions seems to have spurred a perspicacious brain-storming
session. I can agree with points made by all of the above (and Leon too!). It
certainly isn't something that can be done off the cuff. If we started now
then *maybe* we would be prepared to launch something by early next year.

One point I did want to raise, is that it would seem to me that a program
which yields  concrete results would likely be a lot more convincing than
arguments on paper. If one school were convinced to migrate and it were setup
well and supported well (not to mention delivering real savings), I honestly
believe that this would do more to persuade policy makers and society more
broadly that Linux/OSS is a better bet than Windoze. And it would provide OSS
advocates in WA and Australia with a potent case study to point to to justify
their arguments. I also think it would enrage M$ sufficiently for them to
make a public stuff up like the way their most recent audit managed to
alienate thousands of schools.

And when we were all prepared and ready to launch the plan publicly, we could
start by dropping a few anonymous calls to M$ about illegal installs in
certain schools leading to an aggressive audit.........no, just kidding. That
would be too evil. ;-)

For my part I'm willing to put my hand up for something like this. Is Brian
Tombleson still keen on lobbying? Anyone else interested?

regards,
sol