[plug] Schools

sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue May 7 11:56:31 WST 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002 10:29, James Elliott wrote:
> I look after 5 schools with regard to supplying equipment, setting up
> networks, and general maintenance and support.  I am going to:
>
> 1.  see each Principal or approprate teacher
> 2.  briefly put the case for Linux (wrt virus, free, non-commercial, etc)
> 3.  put the case agains Microsoft (monopoly which dictates terms etc)
> 4.  offer to set up one or two machines (out of, tyically 15, with Linux
> and Star Office and ask the teachers to trial Linux vs Microsoft, as a soft
> way of breaking the ice and hoping they will accept the idea of change.

As an added suggestion to point four, perhaps invite them to a display which
PLUG or CA (no flames this is only a suggestion) could jointly set up of a
"classroom" running Linux with an OSS desktop etc. Maybe demonstrating how
old PC's can be put to use as thin clients running off a server (though this
would depend on what type of schools you're dealing with) which could save
the $$$? A professional setup like this I think would impress.

my 2c worth

sol