[plug] ISP (and using ADSL with static IP)

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu May 9 11:30:24 WST 2002

At 10:19 AM 05/09/2002, you wrote:
>I am searching for a local ISP (Perth Metro), reasonable rates as a
>dialup, but realistically ADSL or some sort of Fast Bandwith any
>suggestions welcome.
>
>Next silly question ISDN v ADSL in cost factor, service, speed etc..
>mainly looking at static ip as ADSL in this format I have found to be
>pricey and informed can be unreliable.

I am currently looking at
http://www.westnet.com.au/products/access/broadband/adsl/

for:
3gb peak/5gb offpeak (512k/128k)
contract and no contract available installation pricing
free waix traffic
free upload
static IP
service provider recognises Linux (minimum) - found mention in the FAQ
service provider supports Linux (preferred)

I have done a lot of research because a lot of this is new to me. I have
downloaded the manuals for the D-Link and the Alcatel modems. The D-Link
manuals did not make me feel very comfortable about installing this myself,
whereas the Alcatel manuals at least provide some feeling of confidence of
approaching the installation. Unfortunately, most of the providers offering
ADSL, seem to quote the D-Link modems. Alcatel modems appear in the Linux
How-To documentation that I have sourced. This may be because of the
distribution channels of the two modems though, and just that the D-Link
modems are more readily available in Australia, and have not found there
way into the Linux documentation.

Also, a previous email mentioned bridging vs routing. Please could someone
explain the impact of this if I want to host a domain on the offered static
IP address and still have access to a number of other machines.

I am not sure if I should wire it this way:

ADSL modem -- Linux firewall box -- Linux web server also routing traffic
to -- switch -- other computers

or this way:

ADSL modem -- Linux web server -- Linux firewall box -- switch -- other
computers

Can someone explain which is best, or an alternative ? Please feel free to
point me to appropriate URLs.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)