[plug] Profiles - removeable hdd to be used with different nic and video?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat May 11 14:10:06 WST 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 01:58:30PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> I want to take a hard disk drive in a removeable caddy between study and home
> ... users and programs will be the same, and  I guess the processor type and
> ram will not be a problem, but I will need to ensure the settings for the
> ethernet card and the video card are set correctly for each machine.....
>
> Is there a way of setting up a profile for each location so I don't have to
> reset it manually each time?  What's the easiest way of doing this?

This probably isnt an optimal solution, but if you specify both
ethernet modules in /etc/modules, then hopefully one will fail and
the other will succeed in each machine. You'd get an error message
on startup to show its doing its job, but I think it'd work.

I doubt a similar approach would work for X, but a quick hack could
detect the hardware on boot (maybe by grepping /proc/modules for the
network card, or grepping dmesg for machine specific details) and
copy in an appropriate XF86Config file for the machine, before X
starts.

This isn't the neatest approach, but would work, failing anything
else.

HTH,

Bernard.

--