[plug] OT ADSL Price & Service- compare Westnet / Eftel / Arachnet/others?

Luke Dudney plug at goa-trance.org
Sun May 12 12:18:18 WST 2002

Craig Foster wrote:

>Or from
>http://www.westnet.com.au/support/faq/showquestion.asp?faq=14&fldAuto=103
>
>"Please note: While the WestNet Technical Support Team will endeavour to
>assist WestNet members with any internet based issue, we are unfortunately
>unable to offer technical support for LINUX based systems."
>
>Does anyone from WestNet have an insider's POV, or is this the standard
>disclaimer? (to cover when the two linux gurus have to sleep sometime)
>
>Just wondering before I call on Monday....

This is also in part an answer to Jacqueline McNally's post in
<4.3.2.7.2.20020512085817.00baad80 at decisions-and-designs.com.au>.

WestNet support staff are not specifically trained to deal with Linux
issues (eg. they cannot help you set up Evolution or guide you through
configuring diald to dial your connection).
That said, they will not refuse to help you simply because you are using
linux. If you're having general connection issues, your password isn't
working etc then they'll help you to the best of their ability (of
course this will not include stepping through your syslog to debug an
LCP failure or whatever).
You shouldn't expect to put through to a tech experienced with linux,
however if your problem remains outstanding then it will be escalated to
a senior tech who may or may not be able to help you out.
I think that policy is pretty standard in the ISP industry.

I don't think it's Windows vs. Linux issue.
The decision to officially support certain software combinations boils
down to popularity - how limited training resources can best be
allocated to help the majority.
If you were to use a non-standard dialler (ie. non-DUN) in Windows or
some legacy mail program you need for work, you'd come across similar
difficulties in getting official support from your ISP that you would
using Linux.

Added to this is the huge number or permutations of distributions /
diallers / browsers / GUIs / etc available on a Linux system. Sure a
helpdesk could decide on a specific subset of these to support
officially, but then how many of your customers would you be helping?
"The jack of all trades is master of none."

Cheers
Luke (a WestNet insider)