[plug] mppe in debian kernels

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun May 12 16:58:07 WST 2002

Hi all,

I want to get my linux laptop connected to the work pptp vpn.  So I need
a kernel with mppe included (or in module mppe.o).

But the recent debian kernel-image packages don't include the mppe
patches, and the kernel-patch-mppe package isn't in woody anymore,
despite the comments in the pptp-linux package mentioning it.

I'm currently following the directions in the book "Building Linux
VPNs", but it seems a lot of work for something that is probably a very
common requirement.

Does anyone have pptp with mppe encryption going on a recent woody box,
and can tell me what packages are needed? Or do I _really_ need to patch
ppp and build another kernel?

TIA
Russell

PS.  Sorry about the acronyms, but I figure if you can help me, you'll
know what they mean. :)

PPS.  Yes, I have read the stuff by Bruce Schneier, crypto guru, about
why pptp with mppe and ms-chap is bad.  IPSec would be preferred, but I
don't have any choice in the matter.

  http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
The greatest productive force is human selfishness.
		-- Robert Heinlein