[plug] mppe in debian kernels

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun May 12 20:00:28 WST 2002

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:58:07PM +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> I want to get my linux laptop connected to the work pptp vpn.  So I need
> a kernel with mppe included (or in module mppe.o).
>
> But the recent debian kernel-image packages don't include the mppe
> patches, and the kernel-patch-mppe package isn't in woody anymore,
> despite the comments in the pptp-linux package mentioning it.

Hi Russell,

It's still in sid (unstable), according to packages.debian.org.
I setup a client for UWA's SNAP VPN on my laptop running woody. I
used the kernel-patch-mppe package, and a custom built ppp package
from UWA (http://www.snap.uwa.edu.au/downloads.html). Besides a
kernel recompile just for the modules, it wasn't too much hassle at
all (not even a reboot!).

Except, when I do an apt-get dist-upgrade... Does anybody know how
I tell apt _NOT_ to upgrade my ppp package when I do a dist-upgrade?

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham