[plug] Installing Redmond Linux

sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun May 12 18:54:08 WST 2002

Hi Tim,

I'm guessing, but I'd dare to say that Redmond Linux won't give you much
choice with that either; that is to say that it will very likely go about an
automatic partitioning scheme. Or it may offer you a yes/no option.

If you do get a choice then, maybe something like this might work:
/dev/hda1	/boot	25Mb (max)
/dev/hda5	/	<the rest>
/dev/hda6	swap	32Mb

A default intall of a current commercial distro is likely to put at least a
gigabyte of software on your HDD. And I think that you'll find your desktop
experience sluggish in either KDE or GNOME with only 32MB RAM. Yeah, they say
that Linux can run on old hardware, which is true, but the latest desktop
environments don't really. At least not very well, from my experience.

regards,
sol