[plug] Installing Redmond Linux

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon May 13 13:33:57 WST 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002 21:34:01 +0800
David White <tadewhite at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> At 18:54 12/05/2002 +0800, you wrote:
> >Hi Tim,
> >
> >I'm guessing, but I'd dare to say that Redmond Linux won't give you much
> >choice with that either; that is to say that it will very likely go about an
> >automatic partitioning scheme. Or it may offer you a yes/no option.
>
> Redmond gives u total control. but i need to split it over 2 disks. RAID
> isn't possable. Please read my original a bit closer.
> Tim
>
> >If you do get a choice then, maybe something like this might work:
> >/dev/hda1       /boot   25Mb (max)
> >/dev/hda5       /       <the rest>
> >/dev/hda6       swap    32Mb

This is a wild guess David but you may e able to mount things this way:

/dev/hda1       /boot   10Mb <- This may be enough
/dev/hda2       swap    64Mb <- rule of thumb, twice the RAM
/dev/hda3       /	the rest of hda
/dev/hdb1	/usr	500Mb
/dev/hdb2	/home	the rest of hdb for a tiny home space

Because usr, usr/local have X and other goodies that split might work. It's a
catch-22 that you don't know the space you need until .. you load it and see the
space you need. If there is some way of seeing the space required for /usr, /bin
etc this would help you locate things into sensible partition sizes (but you
know all this). My (wild stab) guide above may fail if you proceed so see if you
can find more size info.

On the assuption that KDE and Gnome will be slow with 32Mb (they will), give
yourself some room on the first install by leaving them off. That might reveal
the size of other partitions so you can judge better on the next load.

HTH and cu
Harry

> >A default intall of a current commercial distro is likely to put at least a
> >gigabyte of software on your HDD. And I think that you'll find your desktop
> >experience sluggish in either KDE or GNOME with only 32MB RAM. Yeah, they say
> >that Linux can run on old hardware, which is true, but the latest desktop
> >environments don't really. At least not very well, from my experience.
> >
> >regards,
> >sol
> >
> >On Sun, 12 May 2002 10:56, David White wrote:
> > > Hi all. I have recently recived a copy of Redmond Linux. I wish to install
> > > it so i can experiment with it. The only other large harddisks that i have
> > > are 560Mb and 540Mb. I have taken out my Mandrake linux/Windows Harddisk
> > > and put the 2 hdd in and the cdrom. It is suggested to have 700-1000Mb
free> > > space so i'm wondering how i should partion the hdds. I have 32Mb ram
but> > > don't mind if i get a swap. There is no package selection as it is
designed> > > to be as easy as possible.