[plug] K-word

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue May 14 07:50:02 WST 2002

On Tuesday 14 May 2002 00:10, James Elliott wrote:
> This is the second time it has frozen my computer completely – I thought
> only Windows was meant to do that, but it seems that Linux and K-Word are a
> deadly combination .... didn’t just crash K-Word, there was no mouse
> pointer; no response to keyboard or to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and I had to
> eventually press the Reset button on my computer case.

Try Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace in X. If you have a LAN, try clocking on from another
machine with ssh (or PuTTY, from Windoze) and `killall X' followed by
`killall -KILL X' if that does nothing.

It sounds like you also have a dodgy X driver. What sort of card is it? KWord
has crashed only a couple of times for me (mind you, I don't use it very
often) but never locked the display or machine in either of Mandrake 8.1 (on
a laptop with a dodgy X driver) or Mandrake 8.2. WINE _is_ semi-broken on 8.2
(it only runs on a few procesors because it was over-optimised) but the copy
in Cooker is fine.

> The other thing K-Word does on an all too regular basis is to crash itself,
> thus losing to the user all unsaved  material in the document being typed.

> Well back to typing up my assignment .... but in StarOffice this time!

StarOffice (and vim, for that matter) is better at journalling your progress
and recovering from total nastiness, at least on a journalled FS like ext3.

Cheers; Leon