[plug] Proglems with NFS Installation of Mandrake 8.2

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 14 17:22:07 WST 2002

> Error in exec of stage 2:-(
> Fatal Error in Stage 1: Permission Denied

> I checked the logs and it shows that machine 2 successfully made a nfs
> connection, but then dies.
> I have the same user name on both machines.  My exports file is:
> /mnt/cdrom <machine 2> (rw, no_root_squash)

First: change "rw" to "ro", it makes no sense to have a read-write DVD
exported. Or is there something we'd all really like to know that you've
got....

Make sure the dvd is being mounted with the executable bits set on the
files. This could explain why it fails on exec. To do this on a CD, you
pass the "mode=0777" option to mount, eg
#
mount -t iso9660 -o mode=0777,ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Also make sure your /etc/fstab entry for /mnt/cdrom doesn't contain
"noexec" in the options. If it doesn't - add it, then manually mount CDs
when you want to be able to execute programs off them (this option is
good for security). See above for suitable mount command.

I don't know what to do for udf filesystems (some DVDs).

While it isn't relevant here (root=uid0 for all sytems unless you're
faking a root acct for a hacktrap), make sure you have the same user ID
between systems, too. Usernames mean nothing for NFS.

grep <username> /etc/passwd | cut -d ':' -f 3

will get you your uid. Whoops, so will typing "id" at the prompt.

Hope this somewhat incoherent message is useful.
--
Craig Ringer                                IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/