[plug] LinuxWA's ADSL (and a cheaper router for iiNet ADSL)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed May 15 08:28:50 WST 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 07:26, Chris Crawford wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 17:12, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> On Tuesday 14 May 2002 16:36, Chris Crawford wrote:
>>> Hi Every one
>>> Just letting you now that we now do ADSL with full linux support.
>>> For pricing email me off the list

>> A few more details would be great. Are you onselling or doing your own
>> stuff?

>> If onselling, which wholesaler?

> Yes we are onselling for Conceptual Networks

Excellent, no flies on Greg. Have they also got DoV happy on their indials
yet, d'y'know?

> But we will be handling all
> the linux support and customers

And sales. (-:

>> Do they/you do their own athentication and transport?

> Yes

Excellent. At last count, this was a serious fly in iiNet's ointment.

>> Do they even do their own DSLAMs? [note the conspicuous absence of /you -
>> I know what a DSLAM costs!]

>  Im not shaw i will find out but i dont think so

I think it would be a big stretch for Conceptual's finances as well, so I
presume no. Well, as long as they do their own auth it should be fine.

While we're discussing devices like this, the cheaper (not-Telstra-capable,
you guessed it) non-Cisco ADSL router is a SpeedStream 5621; OTTOMH, the
Telstra-capable one is a 6621, but check that carefully before spending any
money. I'm idly wondering if the prices are related to the part numbers,
since a `560' is $560+GST and a `660' is $660+GST... I'll have one of these
to play with today, in theory.

This is the equivalent of the Cisco router that iiNet will try to sell you for
circa $1100 if you want more than one IP address from them. I guess the extra
$$$ for the Cisco are to cover vendor financing, palm greasing and other
overheads... so if for some reason you have to use iiNet for real servers, at
least you can save yourself half a grand up front.

>> Do they do free WAIX data?

> Yes all WAIX traffic is FREE and all traffic on the same nework is free
> as well

Excellent!

> Also every one will get a static ip address

Excellent!

> I will be changing over to  ADSL this week so Plug server will be on the
> ADSL as well    1.5MB/256K

That's an odd speed disparity. All other 1500kb ADSL links I know of have a
512k backchannel.

Please send me a price-list off-list. TIA.

Cheers; Leon