[plug] K-word

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Wed May 15 17:57:31 WST 2002

> > I have a S3 Virge DX and have only used that since i started linuc this
> > feb. could that explain why some programs just keep crashing and
> > sometimes even system programs???

Yes. It could.

I had almost exactly the same problem a few years back win an S3 Virge
(can't remember if it was a DX or GX, or something else). I wouldn't have
put the instability down to a single application; it just caused X to crash
a lot, ranging from annoying temporary mouse lockups, to screenwide palette
changes, to complete screen lockups. Usually I could log in from another box
and kill -9 X, but sometimes even that didn't help.

Admittedly, this was back in the bad old days of XFree 3.3.6, so I can't
comment on the state of XFree4 drivers, but the only solution at the time
was to throw away the S3 and get a Matrox G200.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia