[plug] Small office email problems

Richard Henry r.henry at murdoch.edu.au
Fri May 17 08:42:51 WST 2002

While I don't have any extensive experience setting up sendmail, something
that does spring to mind is that I believe sendmail will have problems with
timeouts if your PPP gateway machines' firewall is dropping packets sent to
port 113 from your mail server (mail.bigpond.com).

Check whether your firewall is DROP'ing 113 packets, or REJECT'ing them
(that's iptables terminology, don't know if ipchains is different).  If it
is set to drop, you need to set it to reject.  This *may* fix it.  I think
that when sendmail connects to a mail server, the server will often try and
do a reverse auth check on 113, and if you are simply dropping packets it
will wait for a timeout before continuing.

I could be totally wrong, I can't remember where I read this.

Rich.