[plug] Small office email problems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 18 12:53:51 WST 2002

> So I guess the question shifts to: is there a LAN configuration issue I've
> overlooked?  I'd rather use DHCP than fixed IP, at least for a couple of the PCs which
> may be set up on other LANs.

DHCP should maintain the IPs for your machines during a session unless
something weird happens. It normally maintains IPs over sessions too,
unless you have enough hosts to exhaust your allocated block. I take it
that you've set up DHCP to allocate the right range of addrs and perhaps
reserve some at the bottom end (say 1-10) for future static-ip use?

DHCP can also reconfigure a lot of your PCs other settings with their IP
- most notably gateway/default route, subnet mask, and ms networking
  stuff. Perhaps its giving them some bizarre info with their IPs?

If you find the windows boxes hopping IPs when they shouldn't, try
setting a longer lease period on the server. I've had issues with the
win95 (ick!) boxes at work and this, they don't seem to like short DHCP
leases.

Try comparing what "winipcfg" says on your client machines between DHCP
and fixed IP settings. Could be enlightening?