[plug] Small office email problems

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Tue May 21 07:06:58 WST 2002

An addendum to this problem - a Win98 PC was still having problems with timeouts sending
mail.  Looking at tcpdump I noticed a few packets with a note about requiring fragmenting.
A little research showed that there's a Registry setting MaxMTU that should be 576 for PPP
links.  Making that setting has fixed that PC. (The default is 1500 I think).  Perhaps this
information is of use to others with email problems.

Interestingly the Win2000 PC does not have that problem.

I would have thought that packet fragmentation would have been managed in the Linux
masquerading and thus be transparent to the PCs.

K.