[plug] VERY slow frame rate.

Richard wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Mon May 20 13:33:45 WST 2002

On Sunday 19 May 2002 6:35 pm, David White wrote:
> I'm getting a frame rate of 1 frame every 10 seconds in tuxracer. and 0.5
> frames a second in gltron, and chromium.
> I have a Cyrix MII / 233Mhz, 32Mb RAM, 250Mb Swap Space, Mandrake 8.0
> I am looking at getting 64Mb ram soon
> Tim

One thing I have learned over the past few weeks and months is that graphics
card drivers are all important. If you do not have specific Linux drivers for
your particular card installed performance will be poor where games are
concerned. Before I installed drivers for mine Tuxracer moved so slow it took
me more than 30 seconds just to exit the program! Find Linux drivers for your
card from the maker of the card/chipset or a third party, install them, and
then make sure that your copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (if you're using
4.2.x) points to the correct drivers (a problem I had just this week). Also,
the latest versions of Mandrake etc. are easy to get via members of the list,
so upgrading is always a good idea. Happy gaming :)

P.S. If you are getting into Linux games give http://www.lokigames.com a try.