[plug] VERY slow frame rate.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 21 13:42:15 WST 2002

David White wrote:
> I have a S3 Virge  DX and GLX is working fine as far as i can see.
> The games are all OpenGL games i think as defenguin works fine.
Thats your answer. Someone please correct me, but I'm pretty sure
XFree86 only supports hardware accelerated 3D rendering (over and above
normal 2d accel features) for cards with kernel DRI support, yes? I'm
pretty sure that you just won't get accelerated 3D with a Virge under
linux.

I've had one in a windows box - you're not missing much, I find a TNT2
performs _much_ better and costs very little all. OTOH there are issues
with NVidia.

BTW anybody out there with Nvidia cards still using older (pre-2313)
might want to think about upgrading. I just did at home and got a 20-50%
GL performance boost, plus much snappier 2D and much faster XFree86
startup. It even seems to make a difference editing the makefile and
compiling the driver with -O2 and -march=i686 (for an athlon) but that
may be me imagining things since the driver core is an i386 binary and
that compile would only affect the glue and wrapper code.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.