[plug] Adobe acrobat can't display fonts or icons

Richard wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Mon May 20 14:15:04 WST 2002

On Monday 20 May 2002 1:40 am, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > I have just installed adobe acrobat 5.05 and when I open it from my
> > evryday
>
> Where did you get that? I'm still running 4.x and hadn't heard of an
> acrobat 5 release for linux. I'd really like to get hold of it.

Just go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html and select
Linux etc. and you will get linux-505.tar.gz.

> Are you running it under wine or something?

No

> > know of another way of reading passworded pdf's?
>
> Does this only happen with encrypted PDFs? I'm not too sure what you're
> asking from your post.

The only reason I installed acrobat is because all the pdf viewers that come
with Mandrake8.2/KDE2.2.2 report an error when you try and open a passworded
pdf file (none of them seemed to have a facility for entering a password).
The problem exists regardless of what type of file you try and open with
arcobat, in fact you can't even try and open a file because none of the icons
exist and none of the buttons or menu option have any text on them, just the
opposing square brackets [].

> Try running acroread in a terminal and see if it has any output. If that
> fails you can try running
> 	strace acroread <file> 2>/tmp/acro-trace
> and then reading the trace. It will be very long, look for errors.
> grep is your friend. Acroread may take much longer to start, too.
>
> I need a little more info to be able to give you any useful comments.

There was one warning that appeared on the command-line (not std error)...

Warning: charset of fontList (ISO10646-1) does not match locale (ISO8859-1).

...but this appears in the same place when running acroread from root as
well, but it works ok when run from root. I had a look at the strace output,
you're right about grep...the output from strace is enough to make strong men
weak at the knee's :) But I did not see anything that stood out.