[plug] Setting up Mandrake 8.1 on a PC

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon May 20 15:23:46 WST 2002

> Windows doesn't so much not notice the errors as not confess to noticing them.
> Some Windows crashes are really hardware issues.
True, esp if a user with a clean-ish install is getting a lot of invalid
page faults (read: segfaults) and/or general protection faults (read:
kernel panics).

I have seen several systems that have slightly bugged L2 cache which
must be disabled during install, but the systems work fine the rest of
the time under both OSen. Never have been able to explain that, since
even a dd between two disks doesn't seem to crash them.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.