[plug] Trying to configure X

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 21 13:49:42 WST 2002

David & Lisa Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished installing Debian woody onto my machine.  I'm running it
> on a PII 333Mhz machine with 64Mb RAM and a 7 Gigabyte partition for Linux.
> I have an ATI Mach64 rage IIC video card.

> I have a 14" monitor.
Is it _truly_ ancient? It could be fixed sync, in which case its manual
time to find out what hsync and vsync it needs. Otherwise if its not
from the dark ages you might be able to read the EDID off it and ask it
what it wants.

apt-get install read-edid

then
#  get-edid >/dev/null
and if that works
# get-edid 2>/dev/null | parse-edid

which gives you an XF86Config-4 snippet you can use to define your
monitor's capabilities.

 > It seems to be a problem with the horisontal synch - it seems
> to be repeating the screen (overlapping) in the horisontal direction -
> vertically appears fine.
Yeah, could be fixed sync I guess. Manual time.

> Is there a way to probe the hardware to determine the capabilities of the
> monitor?
See above, but won't work on many ancient monitors.

> Also, I have set the video system to go via the frame-buffer rather than the
> traditional method.  I would like to try the traditional method but do not
> know how to configure this.  Is this likely to be the culprit?
vi /etc/lilo.conf
comment out "vga="
and below it add
"vga=normal"
I think...

-
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.