[plug] Trying to configure X

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue May 21 11:57:00 WST 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 22:00:28 +0800 "David & Lisa Buddrige"
<buddrige at wasp.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi David

I'm assuming with your Mach card you are using XFree86-4. The server this will
be using is xserver-xfree86 so you can let the debian configuration do the work
by using:

# dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xfree86

An interesting issue that the debianites might like to explain:

I was trying this reconfiguration on the xserver-s3. I was back running this
XFree86-3 on a machine that had an older card that XFree86-4 doesn't yet (and
may never!) support based on the list discussion. For some reason the
reconfigure asked less questions that the original install and the
reconfiguration was not successful. I fixed the problem using:

# apt-get remove xserver-s3
# apt-get install xserver-s3

I didn't use --purge so I was surprised that it didn't just pick up the old
config file but I remember now that an early question for X setup is "Do you
want to replace the old XF86Config ? <Yes/No>" or something similar. Anyway a
re-install worked differently to a reconfigure.

Of course I took careful notes (not) so I could reproduce the problem and file a
bug report. I'm not sure if it is a bug. Anyone using XFree86-3 on woody that
has tinkered at this level ?

On David's question, the trick may be similar. If pain persists, try a remove
then install of the server you have installed. It's fast, it's simple, it's
debian :-) <would you buy a used car from this man ?>

All the best
Harry

ps Often when someone mentions a package I don't know:
# apt-get install <package>
.. seconds later
# man <package>
<read .. read .. cool>
# apt-get remove <package>
.. in seconds
Having a woody mirror partition has .. advantages :-)