[plug] using apt-get to check integrity of packages

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu May 23 21:21:19 WST 2002

s/dada/\n\n/;

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:10:34PM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,dadaI did most of my debian installation over a modem link.  I got
> the basicdasystem installed first, and then connected to ftp.uwa.edu.au
> todadownload the rest over my 56kbps modem over a period of three or dafour
> nights. dadaHowever, my ISP sometimes kicked me off at various points during
>
> thedadownload (because I'd been on for more than 2 hours) and
> subsequentlydaI am not sure whether the packages were downloaded properly.

Easier still is to take the system along to UWA for the PLUG meetings and
get the rest of the packages in about 2 minutes using a local network
connection at 10 mbit. Much quicker.

> dadaIs apt-get smart enough to figure out that a given .deb package
> isdaincomplete and either download from where it left off or at
> leastdare-download that package?

Yes, it sure is. But it will only resume the transfer (in place of starting at
the begining) if the mirror you are getting it from supports it.

> dadaI am trying to figure out how to check
> the integrity of the packagesdaon my system - ideally to get the system to
> check all of them - ratherdathan having to specify each package
> one-at-a-time, and ideally todathen download whatever it needs to to fix the
>
> corrupt/incomplete dapackages.  I've been reading through the man pages for
> apt-get anddaapt-cache but to no avail so far.dadaAny help hugely
> appreciateddadathanks heaps in advancedadaDavid Buddrige

You shouldnt have any troubles. Nothing will be installed until
all the required packages are downloaded. If you arent sure, then run
apt-get in download only mode:
	apt-get upgrade -dy

Don't forget to do an `apt-get update` first to make sure you are up to
date with the mirrors contents.

After you have all the pacges, just run `apt-get upgrade` without the
"-d" argument and it will start installing the pakcages it has downloaded.

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html