[plug] Professional Linux Organisation + certification

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri May 24 08:37:48 WST 2002

Navarre raised the issue of certification or accreditation as one of the
potential roles of the Professional Linux Organisation.

I am currently researching information with regard to the ICDL
(www.icdl.org) and the LPI certification (www.lpi.org). LPI certification
currently has two levels and they are both Linux admin and OS tweaking.
Various organisations provide training materials and testing centres for
the LPI and ICDL certification.

The ICDL is more a general knowledge and competency certification for
desktop applications. ACS is responsible for the accreditation of testing
centres in Australia, and there are a number of those. ACS is not
responsible for courseware or training and some of the testing centres may
have these materials or recommend that you obtain them from a number of
groups that have prepared these materials based on the ICDL syllabus.
Although, the ICDL and their syllabus appears to be vendor neutral, the
courseware, training and testing provided in Australia (elsewhere I have
not yet confirmed) are with applications that are popular or common on the
desktop.

I am interested in the ICDL as I strongly believe that the people that can
make best use of this certification are people that may not necessarily
have the resources to purchase proprietary software or new computers in
order to obtain certification. The examiners will argue that you do not
have to, but I know from experience that if a course participant has the
opportunity to play and practise, i.e. make mistakes in their own time -
you learn and remember much better.

I always try to provide learning and skills that are transferrable in the
documentation and training materials that I prepare. For example, the
handout that I created for Computer Angels Australia's Biggest Morning Tea,
we had three different browsers being used throughout the morning. It did
not matter which computer new users sat in front of, the handout assisted
their learning to surf the 'Net. If they were to take the handout to the
public library, they would be able to use the computers there to continue
their research.

I have had many *discussions* wrt to education vs training. I personally
believe that I am letting people down, if I only train people to follow a
Noddy's guide. There is much more satisfaction in seeing someone obtain and
use skills that can be applied to further approach something they do not
already know, but have the confidence to follow it through. For example, in
most applications we know that we can open existing files or documents. It
is much more powerful to show people how to find existing documents, to
open in different applications, then to say, "Choose Open from the File
menu" and expecting to see all their previously created documents in one
place (directory). Recently, I assisted a non-profit group to move their
data from an old computer to the new one. We had 4 years of files in "My
Documents" to sort through :(

I am looking to create courseware and or training that enables people to
obtain their ICDL, even tho' we know that the examiners use a different
underlying operating system. The issue of the courseware being suitable to
pass the tests is something that I will need to follow through, either here
in Australia or with the International body. Perhaps PLO may become
equivalent to the ACS and be able to accreditate ICDL testing centres.

The ICDL syllabus is pretty much covered by Linux and OpenOffice.org. The
only thing that is missing is a database, and although you can use a
database with OpenOffice.org it is not at the rudimentary level that is
required by the ICDL. Anyway, I will push on with the components that I
know I can do.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)