[plug] Adobe or similar software

Adrian Woodley adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Fri May 24 15:42:25 WST 2002

    As good as the GIMP is, its really only good for image creation and
minipulation  of print and online images. What I mean by that is that its not so
good for photoquality printing. True, it will do photos and I myself have
printed several after editing them in the GIMP, however the GIMP is limited to
only 8bits/channel, where as Photoshop can handle at least 16bits/channel. This
is a must for true colour printing.
    I have heard a roumour that the next release of photoshop will be ported to
linux, however afak Adobe have neither comfirmed nor denied this. If Photoshop
is ported to linux, it would make linux the most powerful graphics platform
available.
    Consider Photoshop on a dual CPU UltraSPARCIII :) Or rendering images over a
COW or Beauwolf! Add to that the excellent memory management of the linux kernel
and excellent support for such things and software RAID and journeled
filesystems and Photoshop/Linux would be an unbeatable combination.
    Just think, debian could spawn a distribution aimed at graphics workstations
and call it Leonardo de Bian :)

    However, that said, the GIMP is still a very powerfull package and unless
you're into hifi pictures, you probably will be quite happy with it, especially
with a price tag of $0 compared to Photoshop which is over $2000. :)
    Its really a question of whats available - if the Mitsubishi Pajero was the
only 4x4 on the market, you'd probably be quite happy with it. However, Patrols
and Landcruisers are out there and they take the top spots. This doesn't mean
the Pajero is a crap vehicle, its just not as good. A Pajero will get there in
the end, but a Patrol will get there a lot easier and look better doing it ;)

Quoting navarre at plug.linux.org.au:

> Hello Craig
>
> In the Linux world I use 'The GIMP' and gimp1.2-print for all my image
>
> manipulation requirements. The learning curve is not too bad, there is
>
> documentation for it. I have manipulated and created images with it.
> Available in Debian .deb files, all round good program and stable. I
> started the gimp the last time X folded up on me, too many big apps for
>
> the 640Megs of RAM but apart from that it is very stable and effective
>
> program. Try it.
>
> Navarre

Regards,
Adrian Woodley