Evolution (was: Re: [plug] operating multiple e-mail clients)

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Fri May 24 18:14:29 WST 2002

i use it at home and at work it is our standard unix desktop (rh, debian
and solaris boxes), for a new user the ximian desktop is pretty good
hides a lot of the advanced tools that can do serious damage to your
system (unlike the base rh gnome install, which throws hundreds of tools
at you) and with redcarpet installed and setup, even a beginner can keep
their system up to date with important security updates

the one thing is it needs a bit of grunt, I have a p2 350 at work and at
home the one at home has 256mb of ram and a fast hard drive and runs
great the one at work is only 128mb and a slow hard drive and it can be
a bit chuggy (most noticibly is hitting replay in evolution takes
several seconds to come up, otherwise it really only gets slow when i
really push the system 300+ processes 20+ terminals, dont ask)

one thing to help on slow systems is to turn off nautilas handling the
desktop, that really slows a box down

Adam