[plug] sendmail error

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri May 24 20:33:35 WST 2002

> I was checking he logs of a client and notice they were having this
problem.
> None of the users could send mail
>
> sendmail[1714]: g4O8OIi01714: ruleset=check_rcpt,
> arg1=<info at mmtnetworks.com.au>, relay=[192.168.0.54], reject=550 5.7.1
> <info at mmtnetworks.com.au>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed
> [192.168.0.54]

It's trying to get a reverse-lookup on the IP address.  Add a hosts entry or
run an internal DNS (or see below).

> I have in their access file
> localhost
> 192.168.0.0    RELAY

Try:
192.168.0    RELAY

It's not looking for a netmask but a string match from the LHS of the IP
address .. this might also solve the above problem.
Well, actually, I don't know if't a string match or it automatically applies
some form of mask, but 192.168.0.0 is not the same as a /16 netmask, the 0's
are valid nets as far as it's concerned.

> and in their local-host-names file
> localhost
> <domainname>

This list is what the machine accepts mail for.  Nothing to do with sending
out.

> Also when I restart sendmail I get the following error:
> Starting sendmail: make: Entering directory `/etc/mail'
> make: *** No rule to make target `virtusertable', needed by
> `virtusertable.db'.  Stop.
> make: Leaving directory `/etc/mail'

You possibly should have a virtusertable section in your Makefile such as
this:
virtusertable.db:       virtusertable
        rm -f /etc/mail/virtusertable.db
        if [ -s /etc/mail/virtusertable ]; then \
                makemap -d btree /etc/mail/virtusertable.db <
/etc/mail/virtusertable; \
                chown root.mail /etc/mail/virtusertable; \
                chmod 0664 /etc/mail/virtusertable; \
        fi;

YMMV (like hash in place of btree and file name differences).
.. of course, you can always build it manually by following essentially the
same steps:

 rm -f /etc/mail/virtusertable.db
 makemap -d btree /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/virtusertable
 chown root.mail /etc/mail/virtusertable
  chmod 0664 /etc/mail/virtusertable

The Makefile is there to (theoretically) make things easier for you so you
can change the contents of the input file (virtusertable) and then do a
"make virtusertable.db" and it update the DB file.
.. also of course, if you're not using virtusertable features, you probably
don't have the file so the error can be ignored or you can take the feature
out of the sendmail.mc file.

HTH.
- Brian.