[plug] mandrake 8.2 crashing when using browser/ftp

Mike Hasleby hasm at ljbc.wa.edu.au
Fri May 24 21:18:04 WST 2002

Hi all,
I recently installed mandrake 8.2 (having used about the last 4
versions).  However, with 8.2 after dialling in to my isp, as soon as I
start to use either ftp or a browser, the Xserver hangs.  At times it
even restarts the computer.  I have found by setting it to multiuser
level (no gui) I can dial in and ftp fine from the terminal.  I've tried

this using minicom to dial in then starting the pppd or setting up
ppp-on to do the dialling in.  Have others found X to be a problem in
8.2   One of the students at our school install 8.2 and had exactly the
same problem but others I know running it haven't had any worries.
TIA
Mike Hasleby