[plug] PPP Problems and Timeouts

Trent Lloyd trent at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 25 01:44:40 WST 2002

hello pluggers,

fyi, i use Debian 3.0 with an external modem (Swan 56k to iprimus) on a
p4 1.8ghz

i have had a lot of trouble with my new comptuer and linux as far as my
modem goes
its always had the problem (in linux only) of the tcp connections always
timing out after about 10 seconds (widnows works fine)

However i just noticed the following in the logs
May 25 01:38:45 deltaflyer kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error

that message comes up the second it stalls, does anyone have an diea
what is causing this, also just curious what
May 25 01:42:23 deltaflyer pppd[768]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x38
magic=0xd1381ed8]
May 25 01:42:23 deltaflyer pppd[768]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x38
magic=0xfa1bc60]

that means, its in my logs alot

also i tried the linux drivers for my internal modem (sm56 motorola) and
i used rpm for debian to install them and it installs fine but when i
modprobe the driver, it loads but is stuck 'initializing'
sm56                 1345932   1  (initializing)
anyone know why?

thanks,

Trent