[plug] Firewalls

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Sat May 25 18:30:57 WST 2002

I have looked at Mason and PMFirewall in the last few days.

Mason is supposed to learn the pattern of use of the network, and build rules
to suit.  I guess you have to hope you're not being cracked at the time Mason
is learning the rules!  It's supposed to be the duck's nuts but I found it
stopped my network when I implemented it after a couple of hours of learning.

PMFirewall in comparison asked a few questions to configure itself.  On
firing it up I found I still had my WAN facilities, but I wasn't totally
impressed by the ipchains it had configured - I thought there would have been
a few more DENYs about for the well known cracking ports.

Any comments on these or other packages?

K.