[plug] Samba

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun May 26 01:15:31 WST 2002

> Judging from the lack of response to the query, not many people use Samba.
Actually I use samba at work for a lot of storage, though not our core
stuff because I need something that plays nice with macs and believe it
or not so far winnt4 has been better than samba+netatalk like that. I
have a config file stored away to be restored "just in case" that turns
the samba box into a PDC - in case of black smoke or more likely a blue
glow from our nt server.

At home it runs on my box to make it accessable to the windows users on
the LAN (all of them bar me are mostly/all windows) and on the firewall
for a shared "temp" space and mp3 collection. Heck, we've got to find
something for a dual PPro200 to do with its CPU other than masq/demasq
packets... (actually I just put in an Sb live and hooked it up to the
stereo, too - controlled by xmms over vnc and maybe usb IRDA remote
control too soon).

I think you'll find most people didn't repond because samba questions
are common and often hard to answer without more info (say, an smb.conf
attatched if even that helps). Encrypted password support etc is covered
pretty well in the Samba docs, too.

Glad you found your fix. I've had a couple of real wonders like that, my
all-time record being spending 3 HOURS trying to figure out why apache
was serving .html as "application/octet-stream" (reason: .hmtl != .html
*sigh*).