[plug] Xwindows

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue May 28 13:52:49 WST 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:55:46PM +0800, James Elliott wrote:
> I am getting a bit confused with the various commands to start windows and
> terminals and would be obliged if someone could explain when and why you
> would use the following commands:

Tis a tad daunting, indeed!

Expanding slightly on Richard's reply,

X fires up the X server alone, so you see a grey display with a
mouse as a cross shape, and not a lot else. It doesn't start up any
window manager so in itself isn't very useful. But if you then
"Alt+Ctrl+F1" to another terminal and type something like:
   $ export DISPLAY=:0
   $ xterm &
or $ startkde &

Then switch back to the X server to see them. Better way is to use
startx.

HTH,

Bernard.

--