[plug] the gospel of tux

sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue May 28 15:37:00 WST 2002

 If you work to make this happen in
> twenty schools and consequently unearth the next Linus Torvalds, what is
> that worth to you?
Good point. Last Wednesday I gave my first public lecture on Linux at
Mandurah Public Library to a small, but appreciative audience. It was my
first go a giving a talk on Linux (I was focusing on desktop linux for
newbies) and wasn't too sure how it would go, especially as I hadn't done
that much preparation. I was quite surprised by the results.
A couple of interesting points:
1) People were stunned by how good, and how similar, free software was to the
M$ crud they were using; when I opened applications like Gnumeric I would get
comments like, "That's just like Excel. I can't tell the difference." They
were also impressed by how much was available. One guy loaned all the books
on linux to take home and install on his PC straight away.
2) One man there was over 80 and in charge of a group - I think they were
called SeniorsNet - that is a computer support group for those over 80. There
were more than 120 people in the group. He told me that many were concerned
about copyright infringement because so many were using pirated software due
to financial constraints of living on the pension, etc. I put him onto Open
Office as a good starting point. Pity I didn't have a copy I could have given
him right then and there, 120 retirees could have benefitted straight away.
3) One inquisitive teenager looking to improve his web skills is trying to
get a copy of Debian. He'll be joining the list soon upon my recommendation.
I think he'll get a lot out of it, especially if he gets a warm reception on
this list.
4) People are aware of the evil of M$, including the back-doors that M$ has
planted in XP and how this is a violation of privacy. The problem is they
don't know about the Free alternative.

I'm no guru, but I believe that Free Software is the way to go for most
people. That's why I did this lecture and have set up to do a series of five
more at uni next month - an intro for newbies. People seem really interested,
but it needs more publicity and packaged information resources. I was
surprised that the talk I gave which was only to a handful of people - for me
it was a practice run - would have the impact it had. I feel encouraged about
doing more in the future and would encourage others to get out there and
spread the "gospel of tux" if they have had such inclinations.

regards,
sol