[plug] the gospel of tux [sol-dier on!]

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue May 28 19:28:01 WST 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 15:37, sol wrote:
> Last Wednesday I gave my first public lecture on Linux at
> Mandurah Public Library to a small, but appreciative audience.

Hooraw! Keep up the good work!

> 1) People were stunned by how good, and how similar, free software was to
> the M$ crud they were using

...and sometimes, by how different. Enlightenment is good for that. (-:

> 2) SeniorsNet - that is a computer support group for those over 80.
> There were more than 120 people in the group. He told me that many were
> concerned about copyright infringement because so many were using pirated
> software due to financial constraints of living on the pension, etc.

Excellent! Have him put his lack of money where his mouth is. If any of them
dial in through iiNet or get free WAIX traffic, they can download it from
http://ftp.ii.net/pub/openoffice/

> 3) One inquisitive teenager looking to improve his web skills is trying to
> get a copy of Debian.

And a copy of every crack ever written for Unix? (-: His name wasn't MafiaBoy,
was it? :-)

> 4) People are aware of the evil of M$, including the back-doors that M$ has
> planted in XP and how this is a violation of privacy. The problem is they
> don't know about the Free alternative.

Or think it wont work for them. Demo, she fix.

Cheers; Leon