[plug] The mouse and X

Andre Thomas andre.thomas at switch.aust.com
Tue May 28 16:02:26 WST 2002

Hi,

I am having a disagreement with setting up Debian Potato with a GUI; in
particular getting the mouse to work.

Basically, no matter what option I try (PS/2 or Intellimouse) with the two
mice I have here (a MS Intellimouse and a MS Trekker) I get pshycotic
behaviour from the mouse.

A Ctrl-Alt-BckSpc back to the console shows the error:

Warning:  /dev/mouse unable to get status of mouse fd (Inappropriate ioctl
for device)

/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux ...is this totally incorrect??

Further to this, I noticed there was also above that:

System: '/usr.X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
-m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp"> "
-eml "Errors from xkb are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'

Doesnt look friendly, even if it isn't fatal.

Cheers,
-Andre.