[plug] Wiping disks properly

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Wed May 29 10:23:11 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 09:43, Carl Gherardi wrote:

> Agreed dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd?
>
> I want it as a corporate solution though, something I can hand a ludite to
> wipe 50 machine which may have multiple partitions, filesystems and
> harddrives. For this I need to propose something with a "nice" interface or
> a commercial solution will be the one considered.
>
> Carl

How secure are you wanting this to be? Its not as easy as it looks.

Try
http://wipe.sourceforge.net/

Which is described as;
"Wipe is a tool that effectively degauses the surface of a hard
disk, making it virtually impossible to retrieve the data that was
stored on it. This tool is designed to make sure secure data that is
erased from a hard drive is unrecoverable."

Wipe's man page mentions some other utils too;

Other file wiping utilities

There are several other file wipers available.

Another  "wipe"   by   Berke   Durak   <durakb at crit2.univ-montp2.fr> is
available at

http://altern.org/berke/wipe/

Colin Plumb's <colin at nyx.net> sterilize.

Todd  Burgess's  <tburgess at eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca>  srm  is
available on sunsite/metalab in

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/

--
bob
Cave canem...te necet lingendo.