[plug] Wiping disks properly

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 29 10:23:28 WST 2002

> I want it as a corporate solution though, something I can hand a ludite to
> wipe 50 machine which may have multiple partitions, filesystems and
> harddrives. For this I need to propose something with a "nice" interface or
> a commercial solution will be the one considered.

Create a basic boot disk, and have init be a shell script that asks
"are you really sure you want to erase all data on the machine"
then if y does
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Idiot proof, yes? Barring someone having set up a cdrom as primary
master that is.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.