[plug] Pdf writer for Linux

Richard wpickett at iprimus.com.au
Wed May 29 12:15:40 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 09:55, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > know there are some that can save a file to pdf format, but I was
> > thinking more in terms of editing existing pdf documents.
> Unlikely unless you really like vi and can think in postscript *grin*
>
> > I know Acrobat
> > allows you to 'fill in' a pdf form,
> This is most likely the best you'll get, Acrobat Reader 5's PDF form
> handling.
>
> > I was just looking
> > for a general pdf editor.
> No such luck AFAIK. Adobe do the only one I'm aware of for
> windows/mac/anything and they havent stated any interest in a linux
> port. Heck, it takes them forever to release Acrobat /reader/.
>
> OTOH your average windows user (w/o Acrobat) is just as stuck - they can
> fill out properly defined PDF forms with acroread5 same as on linux, but
> can't do any more.
>
> Perhaps they want you to print it out and fax it to them or even
> (*gags*) scan it in again and email it back. Wouldn't be the first time
> I've encountered that sort of thing.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer
> GPG Key Fingerprint: AF1C ABFE 7E64 E9C8 FC27  C16E D3CE CDC0 0E93 380D
> 	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.

The good thing about this whole saga is that I have now become
acquainted with ghost script and the ability of OO.o to save a document
straight to pdf format (although this is another story altogether!). I
rang the place back and asked the girl that answered the phone what I
was expected to do with this pdf that had not been saved in proper forms
format, and she told me she didn't know what document I was talking
about, what pdf meant, and certainly could not advise me as to what to
do with it. I should have told then what they could do with it, but I
would like to stay in their good books.
Richard