[plug] Pdf writer for Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 29 09:55:38 WST 2002

> know there are some that can save a file to pdf format, but I was
> thinking more in terms of editing existing pdf documents.
Unlikely unless you really like vi and can think in postscript *grin*

> I know Acrobat
> allows you to 'fill in' a pdf form,
This is most likely the best you'll get, Acrobat Reader 5's PDF form
handling.

> I was just looking
> for a general pdf editor.
No such luck AFAIK. Adobe do the only one I'm aware of for
windows/mac/anything and they havent stated any interest in a linux
port. Heck, it takes them forever to release Acrobat /reader/.

OTOH your average windows user (w/o Acrobat) is just as stuck - they can
fill out properly defined PDF forms with acroread5 same as on linux, but
can't do any more.

Perhaps they want you to print it out and fax it to them or even
(*gags*) scan it in again and email it back. Wouldn't be the first time
I've encountered that sort of thing.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.