[plug] Remote machines

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu May 30 13:46:19 WST 2002

From: "James Roderick Elliott" <james.elliott at wn.com.au>
> Hi all
>
> What do I need to do to enable Telnet..

First, make sure you've got telnet installed:

rpm -q telnet-server

If not, install it from here (28k) or your RH CD:

http://mirror.3fl.net/pub/redhat/updates/7.1/en/os/i386/telnet-server-0.17-1
8.1.i386.rpm
(on WN's network and WAIX)

Look in /etc/xinetd.d/ and there will be a config file for telnet, the
contents are pretty self explanatory, you just have to enable it.

Edit /etc/hosts.allow and add the IP or network range of the person that is
going to be connecting (see "man hosts.allow" for syntax).

killall -HUP xinetd

..should make xinetd re-read the changes.

"netstat -l | grep telnet"  to see if its listening.

> find out my IP address..

When connected to the net, type this:

/sbin/ifconfig ppp0

(substitute "ppp0" for whatever your net connection interface is called)

And it'll list the interface config, including IP address.

BTW, I strongly suggest reading the man pages for all of those commands, so
you understand what exactly it is that you are doing :).

HTH :)

/ Ben