[plug] Remote machines

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu May 30 13:56:48 WST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Ringer" <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [plug] Remote machines

> DONT! Telnet is dangerously insecure and obsolete anyway. Unless you
> like sending your passwords over a connection vulnerable to sniffing
> (clear-text passwords over the internet!), hijacking, spoofing, and
> man-in-the-middle attacks.

POP3, FTP.. to name a few other services that use plain text passwords as
per default.  I reckon James would be using POP3 (plain text) for mail
retrieval, as thats what most ISPs provide for email retrieval.

> Enable ssh. Its easier anyway with a modern distro. Just use rpm to
> install ssh off your distro CDs, or even better download the latest
> version from Red Hat.

I agree, ssh is certainly a far better option, but if the assignment
specifically said to use telnet.....

> Oh, and even if they use windows they can still ssh into your machine -
> look for TerraTerm Pro SSH, a free ssh client for windows.

PuTTY :)

/ Ben