[plug] Remote machines

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu May 30 14:31:38 WST 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:56:48PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> POP3, FTP.. to name a few other services that use plain text passwords as
> per default.  I reckon James would be using POP3 (plain text) for mail
> retrieval, as thats what most ISPs provide for email retrieval.

...which they really shouldn't.  It isn't so bad doing things this way,
as there isn't usually that far between your dialup and the POP/SMTP
server.

Also note that you should really use scp/sftp instead of ftp, and always
use APOP or IMAP/SSL when available.  Even hotmail has a secure server
for reading email, you know.  Even if your isp doesn't support APOP or
something more secure, you can always tunnel insecure services through
ssh, so long as your isp supports that.  If not, choose a new isp  :)

> I agree, ssh is certainly a far better option, but if the assignment
> specifically said to use telnet.....

...in which case they should find the answer themselves  :)

> PuTTY :)

That, I will whole-hearted agree second  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Your mouse has moved.  Windows must be
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | restarted for the change to take