[plug] Remote machines

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 30 18:17:09 WST 2002

>>POP3, FTP.. to name a few other services that use plain text passwords as
>>per default.  I reckon James would be using POP3 (plain text) for mail
>>retrieval, as thats what most ISPs provide for email retrieval.
>
> ....which they really shouldn't.

Also - if someone steals my mail password I can deal with that. Its a
real pain, but not in the end an absolute disaster. My root password
OTOH .... *aargghh* system reinstall time even if I can't see any record
of a login. And if your mail password == root password, its your fault.

That said, I'd really prefer to prevent anybody from getting any access
to any service I use w/o my permission - esp masqing as me! I wish more
ISPs did offer imaps and POP3s, its not exactly hard...

>  If not, choose a new isp  :)

Yeah, in an ideal world. Alas esp in the broadband world one has few
enough choices :-(

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.