[plug] Remote machines

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 30 21:09:33 WST 2002

> One more question - I am using a gateway device (D-Link)
aah, knew there had to be a spanner... there's always a spanner...
*grin* (been working too long, 14 hrs and counting so I'm going kind of mad)

> so if my ISP,
> Westnet, allocates me a dynamic IP address for the session, say
> 202.10.149.148, then it is the D-link device that actually gets this
> address,
yeah.

> and the DHCP server in the D-Link device in turn allocates my
> computer an address like:  192.168.100.132 .... so how does my friend
> ssh me?
With difficulty. In fact, he doesn't unless you are able to set up the
d-link to forward port 22 (ssh) to your IP and preferably keep your
internal ip static. I've never used an ADSL router of the
non-roaring-with-many-fans type or the ancient-486 type, so I can't be
of much help there.

This also provides another handy spanner to the dyndns thing - I can't
help you with that, I've never used anything but a linux box for a
gateway/router.

Time to hit the D-Link manuals, website, &/or google I expect.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.