[plug] Watching DVD's under Linux

Buddrige, David BuddrigeD at logica.com
Fri May 31 11:05:53 WST 2002

Hi all,

I am currently in the marketplace for a Notebook computer.  There is one in
particular that I am currently looking at - a Toshiba Satellite 1800.   One
of the sellig points (for me) with this particular laptop, is that it comes
with a built-in DVD player.  However, I plan to run it on GNU/Linux -
probably Debian.  I would like to use it to watch DVD movies.  I note that
there are several Linux/DVD projects; does anyone know how mature these are.

Also, given that the DVD drive is instead of having a CD-drive, will it act
like a normal CD player for me to install the OS using standard Debian CD's,
or am I going to have to do special configuration just for the machine to
read the Linux CD's off the DVD player?

Alternately, any suggestions on laptops up to the value of $2,500 that
support Linux are much appreciated.

thanks heaps guys

David Buddrige

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.