[plug] Grannies Computer

sol sol at autonomon.net
Mon Nov 4 13:50:55 WST 2002

I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

>    *
>

> I feel that I can set up the system pretty much by my self. The things
> I need advice on are:
>
>     * Choosing a Distribution

Doesn't matter. Whatever you're most familiar with.

>    *
>

>     * Choosing Desktop environment and Email application

Check out IceWM. It has a panel down the bottom and is simple and
straight forward, though not flashy. Check out this article for
comparisons of Xfce, IceWM and Enlightenment:
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0717.enlightenment.html

>    *
>

>     * Setting up modem and email application so that when she clicks
>       check email it dials, checks and sends emails, and hangs up.

Kppp or Gnome-dialer and Mozilla for both mail and web browsing. (Yes
Moz is slow but it's kinda familiar and is well developed.)

>    *
>

>     * Setting up firewall so that for the few minutes shes on she
>       isn't attacked, this can be left out

On a dialup, don't bother. Unless maybe your granny has Al Qaida secrets
stored on her PC. ;-)

>    *
>

>     * Choosing Word processor

Abiword.

>    *
>

>     * Making the system fool proof.

Boot straight into a user account by bypassing the login. Mandrake
offers this, other distros may also.

>    *
>

>     * Making the transition from windows to Linux easy

I'm not sure there is such a thing. <rant>Windoze makes people stupid
which is why 'dozers always complain about how hard it is to change. If
they'd developed computer literacy in the first place this wouldn't be
so much of a problem. It's not just that 'doze is stupid, it's that it
makes its users stupid too that gets to me. That's why the Free
Software/Linux in education initiatives are so valuable.</rant>

>    *
>

>     * Setting up printer (If I am using Redhat or Mandrake or some
>       distro that nicely sets up the printer at install time then this
>       can be skipped, other wise I think it will be CUPS as that is
>       all I have used)

Yes, the big commercial distros support automatic detection of printers
better. Check www.linuxprinting.org for more handy hints.

>    *
>

>     * Setting up printer so that I can change the ink cartridges...
>     * Speeding up boot time (If a distro that by default install lots
>       of unneeded services

Here's one for Debian. You only get what you choose during the install,
and if you choose judiciously you'll have less unneeded stuff than a
standard install of Red Hat or Mandrake.

may the source be with you,
sol