[plug] seeking perl wisdom

shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 5 13:19:11 WST 2002

Hee.. Separate that content and logic.
I'm a big fan of Python myself.........
So Zope really does it for me....
That said, Zope has a bit of a lock-in problem in that it really is quite
unique and
like, say coldfusion, requires a pre-cooked server to pull it off. And there
are doubts
as to it's speed IMHO.
Another solution that I've used was a homebaked script that 'generated'
python modules out
of tagged and bagged HTML code which is then linked to a logic-bearing
python script and served
as CGI... It helps to have mod_python installed for this.

Of course one can cheat and use Dreamweaver MX which generates pretty usable
PHP , but from
memory only really copes with MySQL. The end result is verrrry pretty but
not too bright, so one
does need to go in and hand tweak some PHP code afterwoods.
One trick on integrating PHP page code with a more statefull back end is to
write up a little python
script which does backend using XML-RPC interface, then use PHP to
interogate it with one of
many/any XML-RPC interfaces. Too easy!

my 0.02c I guess.
Shayne.