[plug] ftp problem

Davyd 'proXy' Madeley proxy at zdlcomputing.com
Wed Nov 13 10:14:18 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 06:02, Jon Miller wrote:
> I have a site where they cannot get any return data from an ftp site.
> I've noticed that in active mode it's fine, but in passive mode it does
> not work.  I've open ports 20/21 tcp/udp and this still does not work.
> It's trying to connect to a WNT4 ftp server.
> Any suggestions

Do you have a firewall blocking arbitrary ports higher up?
ftp doesn't generally use 21 to move the data, only as a control port to
sync the connection etc. All the data transfer happens either on an
arbitrary port, or over raw tcp (I forget which).

If you're behind a masquaraded connection, try loading the module
ftp_conntrack, it might help.

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/
linux.conf.au Perth 2003 <http://www.linux.conf.au>

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA