[plug] adsl opinions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 14 10:19:07 WST 2002

> | Could be... though remember that notice probably actually means "telstra
> | are bringing down the network for work since its failing so bloody often
> | and people are yelling at them about the disconnections issue. We
> | thought we'd warn you."
>
> That's possible, too.  Iinet tend to have a problem with admitting the
> existence of problems.

Not in my experience. They've been very good over the last few days at
saying "we're not sure where the problem is yet but there is one" and
then explaining clearly and usefully what is going on. Short answer -
the wellington st exchange is old, unreliable and crap to the point
where repair would require a bulldozer.

> | BTW sounds like your problem is a different thing to mine. What do your
> |    logs show when you lose your connection? Just "grep ppp
> | /var/log/syslog | grep -v Echo" and post the results.
> |

> Nothing :)  I'm using the PPPoe client built into the modem.  Mostly it
> says "LCP Echo[?] Timeout" or sometimes "unable to find ppppoe server".  I
> also got a "Physical Line Error" once, but that was when Telstra screwed up
> something at the exchange.

You could try setting your modem to bridged mode and then running a
local pppoe client. That way you could maybe get some more useful info
(set the debug pppd argument in the peer file).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)