[plug] adsl opinions

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Nov 14 10:54:46 WST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Not in my experience. They've been very good over the last few days at
> saying "we're not sure where the problem is yet but there is one" and
> then explaining clearly and usefully what is going on. Short answer -
> the wellington st exchange is old, unreliable and crap to the point
> where repair would require a bulldozer.

If the ADSL problems in Perth do arise from the Wellington Street
excvhange, and, if it is in need of replacement, given what has been
happening in the last couple of days, with the feral government's
intention to sell all of telecom, and the Beastly Report, perhaps all
people on the list with ADSL access or intentions, and, especially those
who provide ADSL access (including resellers), could start publicising
the problems, and, lobbying politicians, at each of the three levels;
local, state and feral, to the extent that ADSL in WA is unreliable and
needs to be made reliable? I expect that local and state politicians
would be interested in trying to get improvements in such things as
broadband access for this state, before the feral government gives
telecom the full-on laxative, to purge all of telecom.

I notice, Craig, that you are associated with a local rag.... (hint,
hint...) :)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988